Options

Welcome to Tauck’s Royal Danube, Berlin & Krakow - Eastbound Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Royal Danube, Berlin & Krakow - Eastbound Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• Options
    Since we have been to Vienna twice before, once on a Truck riverboat, we don't want to repeat the same activities including the dinner. Will there be other options available?
    May 2 Eastbound trip
  • Options
    I believe this is a new tour for 2018 so no travelers with past experience on this specific tour. I've done 3 Tauck river cruises so my answer is based on those experiences.

As far as sights, in general they don't usually add major alternatives beyond what is listed in the itinerary. However, I've seen the TD/CD offer a hike up to a castle (Moselle), bike rides (Rhone, Seine), a group of men who went off to play golf (Rhone) and a small ceramics museum in Rouen that we walked to and the CD paid the admission there. Your best bet is to do some research of alternative sights, check the map to see how far they are from where you docked on your prior cruise (google can help with this) then talk to your TDs once you get on the cruise if you need assistance/advice.

On the dinner - I assume you mean the Palais Pallavicini - I've know others who didn't go to a dinner off the ship and they provided them a meal in the bistro/Arthurs. Or you could order something light in your room. Usually for these evenings they give the main dining room staff time off. Again, talk to the staff at the reception desk. Alternatively, you could find a restaurant on your own dime.

Have fun.
  • Options
    The Albertini Museum has some beautiful pieces, especially by the 'Masters". It is right next to the bus stop for the Tauck bus, if Tauck uses the stop that was used in 2016 on the Blue Danube Cruise.The dinner at the Palais Pallavicini was quite nice, especially the entertainment. Wife and I are taking the May 2 eastbound, also.
  • Options
    Welcome to Tauck’s Royal Danube, Berlin & Krakow - Eastbound Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.
    Hi Tauck Emily,
    We are arriving one day early, Tues., June 26 for the June 27th tour. I notice the restaurant in the hotel, Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer isn't open on Tuesdays. Any other suggestions for dinner?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Hi Tauck Emily,
    We are arriving one day early, Tues., June 26 for the June 27th tour. I notice the restaurant in the hotel, Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer isn't open on Tuesdays. Any other suggestions for dinner?

This is an old thread started by Tauck Emily who is a former (current?) Tauck (part-time) moderator and like the only other Tauck moderator, rarely monitors, posts, or answers questions- they are not like moderators that you normally find on bulletin boards and chat rooms.

It is better to start a new thread or check out Rick Steves, etc.

Have you checked the App for places to eat?
  • Options
    AlanS. thank you. I'll take your advice.
  • Options
    AlanS, I checked the App and all it gives is a list of 61 places to eat in Berlin from Fodor's. I was looking for personal recommendations from Tauck travelers.
  • Options
    AlanS, I checked the App and all it gives is a list of 61 places to eat in Berlin from Fodor's. I was looking for personal recommendations from Tauck travelers.

As you have also discovered, only a small fraction of people touring with Tauck, visit the forums, and even fewer come back after a tour to leave reviews or help future travelers.

We haven't done this trip but our Romantic Germany tour ended in Berlin. Like any big city, there are plenty of places to eat as you discovered in the app. One that is unique, however is the restaurant (you'll have to look for an English version) at the top of the Bundestag. It is located adjacent to the glass dome at the very top of the building and has some of the best views of the city. We had our farewell dinner there. Check it out! Note: since this is the German Parliament building, there are security requirements, and reservations are required so it may be too late.
  • Options
    AlanS. Thanks. I believe our welcome dinner is where you had your farewell dinner.
    I just made reservations at the Restaurant Quarre in the Hotel Kempinski. They have a nice
    view of the Brandenburg Gate from their terrace. An interesting regional menu. It's too bad more people don't use these forums.
    That was true of my last 2 river tours also. On my other forums such as German Genealogy and Prussian
    Genealogy there are always new and interesting submissions.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I was just going to point out there are two other restaurants in the Kempinski. I was surprised to see that the Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer is only open four days a week- Wed-Sat! Our hotel was further down Unter den Linden just around the corner on Charlottenstrasse. We must have walked past more than a dozen restaurants on our way back from seeing the Brandenburg Gate. Also, at check-in the hotel clerk should give you an envelope from your CD/TD that has tour info, a questionaire, and suggestions on where to eat, what to see, etc. during your stay in Berlin. Great city- museums like the Pergamon are fantastic- hopefully the building renovations are complete and the Pergamon altar is open again.

After dinner take an evening stroll along Unter de Linden and take your camera for some great nighttime shots of the Brandenburg Gate. Have a great trip!

IMG_7643r.jpg

IMG_7644r.jpg
  • Options
    I just completed this tour. During our time in Berlin we ate twice at the Gaffel Haus. It’s located about 3 blocks from the Adlon Krempinski. It is a casual attire, sports bar type of a restaurant, with reasonable prices. The food served is traditional German cuisine. This restaurant gets favorable reviews on Trip Advisor.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file