When do 2020 prices get posted?

I did a search, but couldn't find this, so I apologize if I missed it. Yes we now have the Africa and Tauck bug. I blame all of you regulars for this! We placed a reservation for K&T in 2020, but curious when Tauck generally posts the pricing for the following year. Thank you!

Comments

• taxare wrote:
    I did a search, but couldn't find this, so I apologize if I missed it. Yes we now have the Africa and Tauck bug. I blame all of you regulars for this! We placed a reservation for K&T in 2020, but curious when Tauck generally posts the pricing for the following year. Thank you!

You are certainly welcome! : )

I have seen prices posted nearly two years out but conversely less than a year out. There is no specific date for the posting of pricing. I suppose it can depend on the area- economies here and there, if prices stable, and often on the popularity of the tour. Obviously, popularity does not appear to be a factor for 2020 K&T which is one of Tauck's most popular tours.

Just keep checking. It sounds like you are hooked and have already decided, so just admit that you will make a reservation even though the price may go up $200 - $400 dollars. : )
  • As Alan says, there is no particular date. However, based on my experience, sometime between May and early July is typical for most trips. Some of the exotics which start earlier in the year, price earlier. Given that K&T trips start in January, I would guess sometime between February and early June.
  • So, they posted the 2020 prices and itinerary today. Those of you who have gone on the K&T Classic Safari will of course weigh in. Based on my brief and unknowing review it looks like they made two changes. The first is that you fly from Lake Manyara to the Seronera airstrip in the Serengeti National Park rather than drive and you stay at the Four Seasons for three nights instead of two. The second change is that due to the additional night at the Four Seasons you spend one less night at the Fairmont Mara Safari Club. I assume this was made as an improvement due to the rough drive? I will leave it up to you experts as your view on these changes.
  • edited January 2019
    As you know Tauck is always tweaking the tours. One of the main architects of the tour is still working as a TD. He was our TD in 2015 and Sealord's TD this past year.

When we did K&T in 2015 we spent two nights at Ngorongoro Crater, Four Seasons Serengeti, and Amboseli, three nights at Mt. Kenya Safari Club, and two nights in the Mara. A year or two later, in response to customer feedback (desire for more game drives), Tauck cut one night from Mt. Kenya and added it to the Mara. I concurred with that change. Make no mistake, Mt Kenya Safari Club was truly wonderful and was a nice break in a heavy schedule, but I would have liked more game drives myself. Now it looks like for 2020 they swapped out one night in the Mara for an extra night at the Four Seasons Serengeti.

At first, since you didn't mention and I hadn't looked at the new itinerary, I thought that they dropped Ngorongoro (that would be a big loss), but I see that the tour back tracks a bit to catch a plane to the Serengeti. (Too bad they can't find a better place for a short stop than Lake Manyara- very disappointing and the low point of the tour.

Frankly, I found the drive from Ngorongoro to the Four Seasons/Serengeti a bit too long myself. The Oldupai Gorge was mildly interesting and there was an enroute game drive as we got near the Four Seasons, but other than that it was a VERY LONG, VERY DUSTY, fairly bumpy, and relatively unremarkable trip with few animals or other things to see. We had a brief lecture at Oldupai Gorge, but there really wasn't anything to see as far is diggings- what we did see was from afar. It was fairly warm in June so we had the windows open but had to shut them often to keep out the dust when we met oncoming bus and truck traffic- wearing a buff was almost mandatory. So, I'd voluntarily give up the drive, the stop at Oldupai gorge (and the box lunch we ate during a restroom and lunch break at the entrance to the Serengeti) to fly.

As to trading a day at the Mara for a day in the Serengeti, hmmm probably a wash as far as game drives, however, there is no comparison between another night at the wonderful Four Seasons and one less night in the tented Fairmont Mara Safari Club.
  • We were on this trip with Sealord in July 2018. I would say these changes will make the trip much better. Eliminating the long, dusty ride from the Crater to the Serengeti is a very big plus. We had to cover our camera with a shower cap and wear surgeon masks for most of the day. Adding another night at the Four Seasons and reducing a night in the Mara tent is a good thing because there is more to do although the tents at the Mara were fun and listening to the hippos at night was a great experience. All in all, I wish we had the new itinerary on our trip. With all that said, it was an outstanding trip and you will remember it always. We do all the time! Africa is amazing !

Yup! 100%

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file