any heat wave in the horizon....

Does anyone knows what the weather pattern has been this year around K&T?
How about temp.? I'm re-thinking what I should take.. according to weather apps. day time temp. are around 82-86 and it drops to the low 50's-60 at night. Please anyone could advise, I would appreciate.
Thanks.

Comments

• Mileg wrote:
    Does anyone knows what the weather pattern has been this year around K&T?
    How about temp.? I'm re-thinking what I should take.. according to weather apps. day time temp. are around 82-86 and it drops to the low 50's-60 at night. Please anyone could advise, I would appreciate.
    Thanks.

Remember, K&T is all in high plains regions > 5000' + altitude. What you have been seeing on the weather apps is what you can expect on the trip. Few clouds, blue skies, warm days, cool evenings and mornings. Layers, layers, layers.
  • Thanks AlanS
    I 'll take a little of everything.. I just wanted to have an idea of what is really like this season.
    Thanks
  • Mileg wrote:
    Thanks AlanS
    I 'll take a little of everything.. I just wanted to have an idea of what is really like this season.
    Thanks

The entire tour takes place within just a few hundred miles of the equator (it actually goes through the courtyard of the Mount Kenya Safari Club!) so there really aren't much in the way of seasons like we are used to- just minor changes of temperature (mid 60's at night to mid 80's during the day) throughout the year and the short and long rainy season. But the rains are nothing like you find in the tropics and rainforests.
  • Thanks again AlanS. so I will do t-shirts during day time, a fleece sweater + jacket for early mornings + air balloon &
    some thicker cotton shirts at nights. Easy.
    Have a great weekend.
  • edited July 2018
    Mileg wrote:
    Thanks again AlanS. so I will do t-shirts during day time, a fleece sweater + jacket for early mornings + air balloon &
    some thicker cotton shirts at nights. Easy.
    Have a great weekend.

High altitude = air that is less dense + low humidity + few clouds = clear air = very strong sun (UV)! Plan on wearing long sleeve shirts*, long pants*, a hat, and sun glasses during the day. *Check out Columbia PFG lightweight breathable, wicking, attire. They come in tans, greens, etc. and now non-safari colors and patterns. The shirts have roll-up straps on the sleeves. Some versions of the pants have lower legs that zip off, though I didn't use that option often on K&T but used it in the Galapagos and other trips, however. (long sleeves and pants both also help with skeeters too) For cool mornings a long sleeve shirt and a fleece vest is fine. My wife wore that, I just used a "safari vest." I went full Bwana! : )

Safari_garb.jpg
  • edited July 2018
    Yes, we always wear long sleeved t shirts and long pants for our Africa tours plus the wide brim hat or the baseball type with the ear and neck protection and always some kind of chin strap. Also always wear a Buff round my neck that’s good to stop my camera strap chaffing and also if it is very dusty I can pull it up and cover my nose and mouth. This way it. It’s down on the use of bug spray and sunscreen on exposed skin.
  • milmil
    edited July 2018
    Hey AlanS , great picture!! you look like Clark Gable .:))
    Yes I'm taking some long pants (2) some long capri (3) , 1 light long sleeve jacket , 1 fleece and 15 short sleeve t-shirts
    I'm not a fan of long sleeve ...so I'll be using the spray more... not ideal but I cannot wear long sleeve.;(
    I'm also taking the hat and Buffys. I'm set!
    Thanks for all the help & info. this is getting real! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file