winter yellowstone clothing

Hi previous travelers! Going on the Winter Yellowstone in Feb, 2019. I understand all the "outdoor" clothing I'll need (warm boots, layers, hats, etc. etc.) but wondering about other times. e.g., breakfast, dinner, hanging in the lodge.
Do you have to walk 'outside' from your room to get to the main area for dining etc.?
Thinking about bringing alternative, non-outdoor shoes, but not sure if it's worth it. If you have to at least go outside most of the time, guess the big boots can be it!

Have been to Yellowstone previously, but looking forward to the winter landscape, and hopefully the animals!!

thanks for any advice...

Comments

• You will want to bring both sets of shoes as some of the restaurants are in the hotels. There are also a few inside activities where you likely won't want to have to wear clunky boots and deal with sweaty feet!

Have you been on a Tauck tour before? My husband and I went to the Grand Canyon with them 4 years ago. One thing I wish we had known ahead of time is that people tend to dress nicer for dinner (slacks and Oxford/button down shirt for men, dress pants and a blouse for women). Hubby and I only packed jeans & t-shirts only so we felt a bit under-dressed.

We leave on Sunday, Jan. 27th. It's almost time!!!

Hope you have a great trip.
    Sandy
  • We got the last 2 reservations for the trips, Feb. 23. Meant to be! We have traveled with Tauck to Africa and Australia ;both awesome.
    When you get back, please post some tips! Just bought lined pants and new mittens for trip,so getting ready - hope all these bulky clothes fit in a suitcase!
    The site said very casual on this trip, so was thinking just a nice sweater or shirt with better Jean's or Khaki pants for evenings.

Anyone who's been, can you weigh in?
  • edited January 2019
    Went last Feb. it was a wonderful trip. Dress very casual. I think the dressiest I got was corduroy pants and a cashmere sweater. I mostly wore ski pants , wool socks, boots, and top layers with a waterproof down jacket. We did end up buying one of those ski masks that covers the nose & mouth.
  • We just got back from this trip last week. A few were dressed a little nicer for the first and last night dinners, but most of us were not. Even on the days when it was warm (20's) the wind still makes it feel much colder. We took some Stabil-icers (similar to Yak Trax) and used them everyday in the park since all the trails were packed snow and ice. Many others on our trip bought them there after the first day. I know there are lots of opinions about this, but we were glad we had them. They were also handy in Jackson. Our driver who took us to the airport had his on when he came to pick us up.

It was a fantastic trip. Enjoy!
  • dfc wrote:
    We got the last 2 reservations for the trips, Feb. 23. Meant to be! We have traveled with Tauck to Africa and Australia ;both awesome.
    When you get back, please post some tips! Just bought lined pants and new mittens for trip,so getting ready - hope all these bulky clothes fit in a suitcase!
    The site said very casual on this trip, so was thinking just a nice sweater or shirt with better Jean's or Khaki pants for evenings.

Anyone who's been, can you weigh in?

Got back last week. Phenomenal trip! You never know what the weather will be from day to day. A couple of days we were overdressed but 1 day was almost blizzardlike. Dress was definitely casual throughout.

Here is a link to some of our groups pics:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOZtbRhYpf_9NTVZAzEVHegK5YT0Ixcq-WtRXpAA16m6D_qSRa-aBw72Xiw2CF3EA?key=U1ozOV81RkExM1pWeTgtUHV2bk5oU0xPUVU5LVlR

One of our best TAUCK trips! (number 13)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file